Friday, June 29, 2007

a poem by thomas mcgrath

an interesting cyberdiversion

while trying to use the web to learn more about
thomas mcgrath
i happened upon an FBI file site
so i opened that
and immediatly my computer siezed up
so i shut the whole thing down

what follows is a poem by thomas mcgrath
called:
JIG TUNE: NOT FOR LOVE

I am interested in this poem
for the simple reason that i have set it to music
and it strikes me as
lyrics for a social awareness folk song
and it does what it does rather perfectly

Where are you going? asked Manny the Mayor.
What are you doing? asked President Jane.
I'll bet you're a bastard, said Daniel that Deacon;
We'll put you away where you'll never be seen.

There won't be no pardon, said Manny the Murderer.
There won't be no stay, said Tommygun Jane.
Said Daniel McBedlam, You won't go no farther;
My father won't even declare you insane.

For a Madman's Way, intoned Manny the Magnate.
The Public Good, shouted Editor Jane.
I think he's a Commie, cried Danny O'Garrote;
If he won't do murder, I'll call it a crime.

It's not a long drop. sang Manny the Hangman.
The rope will stop you, crooned Juryman Jane.
In a box long and black, chanted Danny Le Flack,
We'll suit you warm to keep out the rain.

All flesh is grass, sighed Manny the Mourner.
The handsome young man, wept Sob-sister Jane.
R.I.P., prayed Capital Daniel;
If he were alive we could kill him again.

I'll simply say that the poet
called forth some extraordinary powers of irony
to bring home the point
that capital punishment
is essentially hypocritical.

If Thomas Mcgrath is still living
in North Dakota
he is 91 yrs old

he aroused the warped mind of j edgar hoover at some point

a sure indication that his favor is in heaven

i will sing the song with relish
when i next perform it





No comments: