Sunday, December 6, 2015

something to ponder a bit











does the ox muse before it fords the stream








I do run away from people who know everything.  One of the most powerful things you can say in life is ‘I don’t know’.  And I think Oxford taught me that. A degree is just that a degree of knowledge. Oxford taught us how much we do not know. I come back to the Church – the Church of England and the Church of Rome tearing themselves apart over the sexuality issue and I’m waiting for someone to have the honesty and courage to get up and say ‘we don’t know, we’re dealing with a mystery’.  Instead all I’m hearing is prelates getting up and making pronouncements as if they knew the mind of God and to me that’s a form almost of idolatry.  Control freaks who know everything bother me.  It’s a lack of humanity as well as humility. The churches need a long moratorium on pronouncing on sex. We’ve lost the value of silence and of listening to it in our church institutions. The constant ‘noise’ of the liturgy reflects this malaise.






john fox or laura evans take your pick












....

3 comments:

sally said...


I like this quote

who said it or wrote it?

who are john fox and laura evans?

i googled and found john fox of the denver broncos as well as a john fox having something to do with film, and a welsh actress laura evans

jh said...








I'm not sure how I went about translating this quote to this blog I was surfing one day in some context perhaps recent catholic news or conversion stories or something
and I came across a live interview but I can't remember where it was but I heard these people talking in a radio station on the web on a screen and I took note and saw a quote typed up there and thought well i'll take that as is my wont but for the life of me I cannot remember where that was....think of all the info the has been forgotten on the web







....

jh said...




turns out I found this

I think this is connected somehow
I don't have the slightest idea why
I found this




http://www.oxfordmuse.com/?q=node/122





smiles




/!/!/!/!/!/!/!/!




...