Tuesday, August 21, 2018

more in the way of conservative sentiment





















here's another thing


I guess I knew something of what might be understood as a conservative intellectual tradition but my reading had not taken me there I had never read a book by William f. buckley...in fact I still have not...o I take that back I read a short suspense novel he wrote...somehow I was led to believe that conservative thinkers and writers were to be avoided and the progressive and daring efforts were what made literature and writing good...now i've read two books by roger scruton and I actually love the guy he's great and I've read a memoir by Russell kirk and I loved it I thought this guy is amazing ...and while I'm sure the conservative bent holds down a minority place in the world of literature and politics I'm finding the critical observations to be more exact and more balanced than anything the left or the avante-garde has to offer...only late have I come to realize that my favorite European writer Claudio Magris is definitely in the conservative ranks of writers and cultural thinkers...it occurs to me that the conservative thinkers hold within themselves the key to the hermeneutic of continuity they believe they inherit more than they produce and that the efforts to achieve beauty and truth are bestowed down through the generations and we are arrogant to dismiss our obligation as thinking people we in effect owe it to our intellectual ancestors to heed their warnings to peer into the depths they looked into to admire the well thought out deductions from which some sense of the complexity and tragedy and beauty of humanity can always be deduced and measured against


I have left behind the left left it in left field left it for something better than the left left leftist leftwing liberal leanings I no longer wish to entertain the limits of individual freedom or think about some inherent rights based on one's delusions of self ...if the left is about some insidious liberation of women I am adamantly opposed...it is not a good thing and women reveal the stupidity of their shifted status in the world every day despite the effort to portray women as the intelligent leaders and up to the skills of men which is a ridiculous myth women will never outdo men in anything requiring brute strength or athletic prowess nor will they ever attain equality in high level abstract thinking required of the logical practical sciences...if the left is about liberal license for sick and devious sexual practices I am on the right I am conservative....marriage is about marriage I don't give a flying phuq what anyone says people have always married with one central purpose in mind...to be ignorant or defy that reality is to cast humanity into an idealized mold from which I for one will encourage everyone I can find to run from to not submit to the new mold of individualized liberty in the realm of sexuality just don't


insofar as marx and freud have left their marks on the left I am hellbent against the left and want nothing to do with any of it anymore psychology I have come to believe is a scam an intellectual insult with nothing to offer and the phuqqing Marxists can all go phuq themselves as far as I'm concerned they with their demented visions of a new liberated man liberated by his own means liberated by revolution bringing down the oppressive institutions of church and state and remaking his own world in the contours of reason and positive thought man for himself by himself in control of every aspect every dimension of the human realm...they do not seem to know that the only liberty we can be assured of is the liberty of the cross...therefore I am a conservative catholic... I do not want what the left wants I do not want it at all ...the left is bereft


the biggest tragedy in modern catholicism is the wholesale capitulation to the principles of modernism...the conservative in me is insulted by the compromise


HumanaeVitae is the most important statement to come from rome in the last 500 years...and it has been suppressed and ignored by the catholic left in a form of collective cowardice and stupidity...only the conservative minded thinkers and theologians have been able to preserve the wisdom therein...it is my hope that the new younger generations will take hold of the wisdom...they will be conservative when they do....drastically counter-cultural...but conservative


I'm finding that I rather enjoy being conservative
























.....

3 comments:

sally said...

women will never outdo men in anything requiring brute strength or athletic prowess nor will they ever attain equality in high level abstract thinking required of the logical practical sciences...

i guess you no longer see Elizabeth Anscombe as a brilliant thinker, capable of engaging with men as an equal in the abstract thinking required of the logical practical sciences.



right and left
is that all there is?
are those the only options?

what about charity?


i'm glad you've found some writers with whom you resonate

i am sorry for what ever scars have been inflicted on you by left





jh said...








there will always be some women who are really really smart
I even believe there is such a thing as feminine intelligence which
is a superior mode of cognitive activity
I've always believed that
I even believe you are one of these women with superior intellect
but I don't believe they will ever be in the majority
with the inclination for logic and predispositions for abstract problem solving
it's a guy thing for the most part
just as men are not predisposed generally to the subtle dictates of raising small
children


of course if you sort of forcefully take children out of the picture
make the whole thing highly negotiable and optional
you push the balance of things another way

nor do I feel like anything is better because women have arranged to
be equal players in the professional fields of play work and power
things are different
but nothing can convince me that things are better
for anyone







thanks for your comments




jh








.....

jh said...








speaking of Elizabeth anscombe
it is my belief that she would find herself
at ease within my conservative camp
thomist as she was
I regard her re-presentation of Virtue
as a philosophical area of conversation
amongst the high conservative acts in civilization
in the past 100 years or so

she along with teaching and writing
mothered 7 children
and was known to nurse her children during lectures
at one point - a story goes -
she arrived in her classroom and someone had written on the chalkboard
.....Dr. Anscombe breeds.....
and with all her students looking on waiting to see how she might respond to this
she grabbed a piece of chalk
and wrote directly underneath the accusation

/// immortal beings \\\\


an intellectual coup d' grace
if ever...

her philosophical defense of the church's teaching on abortion
was a great consolation to pope paul VI
I still go back and read it every now and again

my most recent discovery of a truly intelligent and
conservative minded woman is
Mary Eberstadt ... I just love her stuff

of course you know that I believe that the liberty that women are now owning as their own is a false liberty to the extent that it is facilitated by bio-chemical birth control and the freedom to access abortions and the liberty to opt out of wedlock on a whim...all of which I find morally and ethically reprehensible












......