Friday, December 4, 2009

cybershelved treasures

WHAT I KNOW ABOUT MYSELF

I know I have been alive for over sixty years.

I know some people love me and some don’t.

I know I am like all other people because I have
the same physical life – as hens are like hens, dogs like dogs.

I know I don’t know a lot that other people may well know more
about but I’ve got to trust them to help me – as I need it,
and vice versa.

I know what I am, a human,
is more than what I can simply think or feel.

I know I love dogs, water, my family, friends, walking the streets
when things feel easy.

I know this is the one life I’ll get —and it's enough.

ONWARD!

-robert creeley (died march 30th at sunrise 2005)

written in a poetry class
on the upper west side of NYC
a residency poetry gig conducted by ron silliman
1987 (?)

4 comments:

Bill Borneman said...

thanks for this poem

mr creeley

he knew

what the meaning

of is is

jh said...

i have a great need to read more
creeley

Kirby Olson said...

Who wrote the poem? did JH write the poem, or did Creeley write the poem?

jh said...

sorry to confuse
(well, confusion is a way of knowing too)
creeley wrote the poem
along with some 8th graders i believe who were given the challenge
to write abut what they know for sure
i tracked back into the
archives of silliman
and reprinted it here