I am not a lover of lawns.
Rather would I see daisies in their thousands,
ground ivy, hawkweed, and even the hated plantain with tall stems,
and dandelions with splendid flowers and fairy down,
than the too-well-tended lawn.
-William Henry Hudson, author and naturalist (1841-1922)
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
i agree
Plantain? Somebody doesn't like bananas?
i applaud the return of the natural garden if only to minimize the sound of lawn tools
ah but think of all the lost
opportunities to learn patience
if we never hear the sound
of the leaf blower or the lawn mower
then again
who needs more opportunities
to practice patience
i like plaintains
There was a fabulous exhibition at the Smithonian museum of American History about a year back (I think it's a permanent exhibit) that featured all the poisons Americans used to achieve those perfect lawns in the 1950s. Cans of DDT with elaborate photos of dead weeds on the covers were the main thing I recall.
The problem is lawn codes in most towns won't allow the lawns to go to seed.
In my town you're not permitted to have any grass blades higher than five inches, and you can fined.
I think it's even worse in gated communities.
Post a Comment